Classify each of the following reactions.
- The reaction 2Mg(s) + O2(g) 2MgO(s) is a
- The reaction Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) H2(g) + MgCl2(aq) is a
- The reaction 2HgO(s) 2Hg(l) + O2(g) is a
- The reaction Pb(NO3)2(aq) + 2KI(aq) PbI2(s) + 2KNO3(aq) is a
- A chemical equation is balanced when the
a. coefficients of the reactants equal the coefficients of the products.
b. same number of each kind of atom appears in the reactants and in the products.
c. products and reactants are the same chemicals.
d. subscripts of the reactants equal the subscripts of the products.
Write the net ionic equation for the following reactions: Show your work on your paper when your cross-out the spectator ions.
- Zn(NO3)2 (aq) + (NH4)2S(aq) ==> ZnS(s) + 2NH4NO3(aq)
- 3HCl (aq) + Al(OH)3 (s) ==> 3H2O(l) + AlCl3 (aq)
- Pb(NO3)2 (aq) + Na2CrO4 (aq) ==> PbCrO4 (s) + 2NaNO3 (aq)